Pros and Cons of Gravel Driveways
Without a doubt, gravel driveways are the most popular material for driveways within the UK and it is not hard to understand why. The crunch on your car wheels underneath is satisfying and gravel holds many benefits! What more could we want? Despite this, all surfacing materials come with their own set of advantages and disadvantages. Here are a few pros and cons when it comes to gravel…
Pros of Gravel
- Gravel is a fairly cheap material to purchase compared to other materials and is also fairly easy to lay in your desired area, with a few exceptions, which means that you do not have to splash out for fancy machinery like other materials.
- Gravel is very low maintenance in terms of spillages, stains and weather effects.
- The noise gravel makes when it is driven on can act as a defensive strategy as you will be able to tell when someone is entering your property without your say so.
- There is a large selection of sizes, colours, and textures available when it comes to gravel which means that customers looking to resurface their driveway are practically spoilt for choice.
Cons of Gravel
- Although gravel is fairly low maintenance, over time it can become invaded by weeds and dust and driveways will bed down. These issues can be delayed by maintenance such as weed clearing and sweeping any gravel back to the driveway area. Eventually however, the top layer will need replacing.
- Gravel cannot be added to any area which has an incline as the gravel is known to slide and will make it difficult for car wheels to grip.
- Mixing gravel colours is exciting, however it is recommended that this is not included on driveways as they will become muddled amongst one another from car wheels and spoil the effect. It is best to use this effect on patios and walkways instead.
Here at Absolute Paving, our driveway and paving services include gravel, in particular, pea shingle. We provide the best driveways Watford has to offer so get in contact today for all your gravel related enquiries and questions – we’d be happy to give you a hand!